Last month was a crazy busy one here for lots of reasons. In amongst the chaos, Syd and I made an erupting volcano in honour of Science week. I thought I’d share our results on here to help any budding scientists in the future.
We used these Nina and the Neurons instructions, but I’ll share our experiences below and our suggested alterations…
Firstly, I wouldn’t bother with Play doh as it was really hard to get it to stick to the bottle. What we did in the end was scrunch up newspaper around the bottle into a volcano shape, and then tape over the entire thing with brown parcel tape.
We stuck brown play doh over the top of this, but again: I would skip this step next time as the parcel tape did the job and the play doh got really messy during the experiment.
We used red food colouring gel – this didn’t work very well. I’d try to use liquid food colouring next time, or mix the food colouring into the washing up liquid thoroughly before squirting it into the volcano.
Other than that, I’d stick to the experiment as outlined above. If you’d like to see our eruption, check out this video…
As you can see, I asked Syd lots of questions as we went along, and I let her take the lead on what we did next. She really enjoyed this activity and is still talking about it often, 5 weeks later.
If you try this out, or have any tips to share, I’d love to hear them!